9.18.2008

Stages of Change

Research has shown changes in our behavior follows a set path. There are 5 stages of readiness.
Precontemplation (I won't or I can't in the next 6 months.)
Contemplation (I may in the next 6 months)
Preparation (I will in the next month)
Action (I am doing it now)
Maintenance (I've been doing it for the last 6 months)

The following is a short quiz used by WellCoaches to determine how ready you are to change a behavior. With regards to eating you are most likely in the action phase, but be as specific as possible. Our up-coming topic will be physical activity. Think about your answers for both topics, or any other changes you'd like to make.

1. The goal or behavior I want to work on is:
(Goals should be S.M.A.R.T. = Specific, Measurable, Active, Reasonable and Tangible.)
Lets start with 3 month goals. In 3 months I will....

2. My reason for wanting to accomplish this goal/change this behavior are:

3. The obstacles standing in the way of my goal/changing this behavior are:

4. The efforts I made toward my goal/changing this behavior in the last week are:

5. My goal for next week with respect to this goal/behavior is:
(The big picture is scoring a run, each week we get closer to first, second, third and home base)

6. My readiness to change to reach this goal/behavior is, I won't do it, I can't do it, I may do it, I will do it, I am doing it, I am still doing it.

Take some time to think about these. Only do it if you want to. I know its a lot to ask. I will be gone until next Tuesday, if you want to do it, have your answers by then. Also let me know if you would rather e-mail me. I do feel the comments can be helpful to everyone, but if you feel inhibited it's not worth it.

No comments: